Many women associate breast implants with the obvious “boob job” look. While dramatic results may be appropriate for some, breast augmentation isn’t a 1-size-fits-all procedure. In fact, as a board-certified plastic surgeon in Richmond, VA, I’ve found that more women are opting for a highly personalized breast augmentation procedure that fits their body and aesthetic preferences, rather than trying to conform to a stereotype.
Here are some of the reasons why more women are choosing subtle breast augmentation:
- Smaller, more natural-looking breasts are trending.
Many women are tired of the overly large, dramatic proportions that we’re used to seeing in the media, including celebrities. Smaller-chested A-listers like Kendall Jenner and the Hadid sisters are perfect examples of women who embody the fact that bigger isn’t always better. Today, breasts that look natural and that flatter a woman’s body shape are in vogue.
- Your results are for you and no one else.
Whether you choose big or small breast implants, there are no rules that say your breast implants have to be a certain size. Your breast augmentation results are up to you. The goal should be to find a shape and size that you feel comfortable with and that gives you the enhancement you are looking for, rather than striving to meet social or societal standards. At the end of the day, it’s your body and your happiness.
- There are more breast implant options than ever.
Choosing your breast implant size is just 1 of many decisions you’ll make about your breast augmentation procedure. In addition to size, you’ll choose:
- Type: Both silicone and saline implants are FDA-approved for safety and can be used to enhance the breasts. I find that most women enjoy cohesive silicone gel implants because they feel and look like real breasts. However, saline is still an option for women who want the security of knowing that their implants contain a naturally occurring saline solution that won’t harm the body.
- Texture: Your breast implant shell can be either smooth or textured. Smooth implant shells allow the implant to move freely in the breast pocket while textured shells help hold implants in place. The implant shape you choose will help determine the right texture for you.
- Profile: Breast implant profiles refer to how far the breasts project off the chest wall. A high profile has more projection, while a lower profile has less projection. Finding the right profile will depend on your chest width, body frame, and cosmetic goals.
- Shape: Breast implants can be round or anatomically shaped. Round implants provide more volume in the upper part of the breast and improve the look of cleavage, while anatomical or “teardrop-shaped” implants give the breast a natural, sloped curve.
With so many options, women can now customize their look in a way that wasn’t possible in the past. This creates a more personalized outcome for a unique appearance.
- A board-certified surgeon can give you the look you want.
No matter what look you’re going for, always choose a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Board-certified plastic surgeons have specialized training in surgical techniques for the face, breast, and body—including breast augmentation.
As a board-certified plastic surgeon, I always make sure to talk to my clients about all the options available to them. This way, they can make an informed decision about the right breast implants for their needs.
Your Ideal Look
Whether you are interested in a breast augmentation that is obvious, subtle, or somewhere in between, I’m happy to talk to you about your goals. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and find out the best breast implant option for you.