Lewis Plastic Surgery: Gordon Lewis, MD
2331-A Robious Station Circle
Midlothian, VA 23113
Monday–Friday: 8:30 a.m.–4:45 p.m.
It is not uncommon for people to find that the neck ages faster than the face. For those with loose skin, excess fat, or muscle bands on the neck, a neck lift is a great way to restore the neck to that younger look from the past.
Dr. Lewis provides expert neck enhancement surgery for his patients in Richmond, restoring tighter, smoother skin on the neck. Liposuction is often part of the procedure in order to extract excess fatty tissue. Excess skin is also removed, and the muscle tissue is tightened in order to remove wrinkles and muscle bands.
Issues improved by a neck lift:
- Excess skin and fat on the neck
- Wrinkles and muscle bands on the neck
- Corrects “turkey neck”
Every neck lift is different. Dr. Lewis tailors your surgery based on what you need to look the way you want. After listening to what bothers you about the appearance of your neck, he evaluates your anatomy and determines the best techniques for your surgery.
Incision locations can vary depending on your particular case. Often, incisions are placed just under the chin and/or behind the ears where they are largely hidden.
Will anesthesia and pain relief be used during / after a neck lift?
We will make sure you are comfortable throughout the whole procedure. You will be given a local anesthetic and IV sedation for what is often called “twilight sleep.” This is lighter anesthesia than a full general anesthetic, but you will be very relaxed and will not feel any pain. In some cases, a neck lift is preferred under general anesthesia.
What happens immediately after a neck lift?
The incisions are dressed, and you may be fitted with a neck band that you must wear for 1-2 weeks. You should be able to go home shortly after your procedure, as long as someone is available to take you home. In more extensive cases, you may need to spend a night in the hospital.
How long will complete recovery from a neck lift take?
Your stitches will be removed in 7-10 days. Expect some soreness, swelling, and bruising for 2-3 weeks or longer. Sleeping with your head elevated with help to keep swelling to a minimum. You can also apply ice packs.
Please avoid vigorous activity, including exercise, for several weeks. Dr. Lewis will give you the green light when it is okay to exercise.
You will visit Dr. Lewis for follow-up examinations so that he can monitor your progress.
Stop by Our Blog
This is your resource for what you really want to know about plastic surgery, nonsurgical cosmetic treatments, and our practice.Read more here
Am I a good candidate for a neck lift?
If you are a healthy adult with significant skin laxity and wrinkles on the neck, you may be a good candidate for a neck lift.
You should refrain from smoking for at least 4 weeks before your surgery and 2 weeks after. Most medical issues can be managed in order to make surgery safe, but diabetes and high blood pressure, in particular, must be under control before the procedure.
What are the risks of a neck lift?
With any surgical procedure, there are risks that you must be aware of. To minimize the risks, ensure that your surgery is conducted in a safe and secure environment using the latest surgical techniques by checking the certifications and accreditation of your surgeon. Accreditation boards and bodies are there to protect you.
Dr. Gordon Lewis has many years of surgical experience and is affiliated with several internationally recognized professional organizations. He is:
- Board certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Affiliated with the Richmond Academy of Medicine and the Medical Society of Virginia
- An Associate member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American College of Surgeons
- A candidate member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- In general, neck lifts are very safe and well-tolerated. It is rare that serious complications occur. We will speak with you at length about these risks and answer all of your questions.
Risks include, but are not limited to:
- Nerve damage
- Accumulation of fluid (hematoma)
- Skin loss
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Revision surgery
- Risks of anesthesia
A Reputation Built on Results
You deserve the highest caliber of service, care, and results, and at Lewis Plastic Surgery, we're committed to providing all that and more. But don't take our word for it—see for yourself what our actual patients have to say about their experiences with us.Read More Patient Reviews
During your comprehensive one-on-one consultation, we will cover several areas of discussion:
- Your medical history and current medications
- Your goals from a neck lift
- Your concerns about neck lifts
- Options for surgically correcting the issues you want to change
- Risks associated with each option
- A surgical price quote that includes any additional costs such as the OR fee and anesthesia. This will also include financing options, if you wish.
Expect to spend close to an hour in our office for your consultation.
Dr. Lewis performs surgical procedures at an accredited outpatient surgical center or a local hospital. He is affiliated with several local medical centers where his patients undergo surgery. He primarily operates at these locations:
Stony Point Surgery Center
Initial consultations, follow up appointments and all non-surgical treatments and minor surgical procedures are performed at Lewis Plastic Surgery in Midlothian, VA.
The cost of neck lift surgery at our practice starts at $7,500, but can vary depending on your specific needs. During your initial consultation, we provide a breakdown of all costs related to your neck lift procedure. This includes:
- Dr. Lewis’ fee
- Operating room fee
- Anesthesia fee
- Cost of any additional overnight stays
We make absolutely sure that there are no hidden costs and no surprises.
Every patient is required to attend an initial consultation before a procedure can be booked. Once you decide to proceed with surgery, we will assist you in finalizing a date and getting everything ready for surgery. We try to be as flexible as possible and will make arrangements to see you at Lewis Plastic Surgery on the grounds of Johnston-Willis Hospital within a few days after you contact us.
A neck lift greatly improves the look of your neck. A facelift is sometimes performed in conjunction with a neck lift for an overall rejuvenated look.
These procedures can also complement the results of a neck lift:
- Brow lift to decrease lines in the brow and to lift the brow to a more youthful position
- Eyelid lift to improve hooding of the upper eyelid and/or bags under the eyes
- Facelift to tighten the lower portion of the face
- Facial fat grafting using your own fat to restore lost volume around the eyes and to the cheeks
- Botox – an injectable that temporarily smooths frown lines between the brows and fine lines around the eyes. These injections may be recommended shortly after your Neck Lift recovery period to enhance your result.
- Dermal fillers such as Juvederm and Juvederm Voluma to restore lost volume on the face.
Gordon Lewis, M.D.
Dr. Lewis, a native of Richmond, prioritizes building honest, trusting relationships and providing personalized care for his patients.Meet Dr. Lewis